Household Insurance

As well as the structure of your house, this policy also protects any permanent fixtures like your bathroom and kitchen fittings, as well as your roof.

This usually extends to outdoor buildings as well e.g. garages, sheds and greenhouses but not fences, walls and gates.

Though it’s not a legal requirement, most mortgage lenders insist that you get buildings cover before they let you take out a mortgage.